Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Full size rib cusp/doubler pattern 19 Dec 2017 14:00 #1072

The PDF attachment has the full size patterns for the rib doublers. Jim made heavy use of full size patterns that are to be used to produce the Woodstock. I hate cutting up the plans, but that is the way Jim did it.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Full size rib cusp/doubler pattern 19 Dec 2017 15:27 #1073

Hi Howard,

I used grease-proof kitchen paper / cooking parchment to trace out the ribs for my Carbon Dragon, cut out my tracings and taped them down to my rib material and then drew around the tracing paper carefully. I then used a bench/disk sander to sand back to to the 'inside' of the lines. Worked a treat!

www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/cd-b...s-cd#rib-fabrication
...the photos in my article seem to have gone awol - I'll try and sort that out this evening.

Do please keep posting updates and photos!

Phil.

Full size rib cusp/doubler pattern 19 Dec 2017 17:57 #1074

Hi Phil, your right, you could trace the patterns if you had a set of plans. This would keep you from having to cut up the drawings. The plans posted on this site would be hard to scale and know they were correct, there are no dimensions on the ribs for reference. My object was to give the builder (without plans in hand) what he needed to build from the plans posted here.

Full size rib cusp/doubler pattern 19 Dec 2017 23:29 #1075

Good point - I'd forgotten the Woodstock drawings were a little sparse on detail!

By working out the geometry of the wing spar, it should be relatively straight forward to calculate the spar (and thus the rib) depth at each rib station. That gives you at least one dimension to check your printout scales against.

I got my Carbon Dragon drawings printed out at my brother's engineering office on their big plotter. The scale was pretty much bang on when I checked them against the dimensions on the sheets: www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/home...ans#full-scale-plans

Phil.

• Page: