Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: steve's dragon 12 Dec 2013 23:36 #752

easy, you're getting your units mixed up. It would be .6 mm graphite @ 3 plies vs. .8mm (1/32 inch) plywood (which is incidentally 3 plies). I think the graphite would be OK at that thickness, probably a bit stronger for buckling due to the higher stiffness despite being thinner (but that's just a guess until I can confirm the wood properties), but WAY stronger in torsion, though I guessing that torsion isn't a big part of the loading (if it's anything like the Windrose calculations that Steve posted). It should be lighter too. I haven't ran any comparisons since I don't currently have any weights on the plywood, or mechanical properties. I was hoping someone would post some information or a link.

I'm working 11 hour days right now and taking a Korean watercolor class once a week (with homework!), so don't hold your breath! Conversely, if you can run down some mechanical properties and weights on the plywood, I can post the comparison. Without the mechanical properties of the plywood, no comparison can be made. Also, until I break down and buy a set of plans, I won't be able to thoroughly go through part by part and do a weight-saving evaluation. If anybody spots a set of plans, I'd be up for it!
Kenny

--- On Thu, 6/30/11, russell wilson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: russell wilson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: steve's dragon
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Thursday, June 30, 2011, 9:30 AM

so what did your numbers say kenny.. 0.8mm ply D skin or lighter/thinner 0.3mm carbon D skin?
how much lighter is your standard size wing... 0.3mm carbon D skined ?

how much lighter/hevier is your scaled up size wing...0.3mm carbon D skined ?

if they are lighter...did this off set your extra body weight and give you your desired wing loading as you had planed?

is your wing as strong and as stiff in torshion as the standard wing?

is your wing stronger and stiffer in torshion than a standard wing as you had planed ,in order to compensate for your extra weight?

russ

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: