Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

D-tubes 12 Dec 2013 00:23 #707

hi rick
i stumbled across this idea whilst making test pices and having a shortage of 6k woven cloth...the aircraft manufacturers were gobiling it up.

1 layer of 12k flat tow woven cloth.......laid out flat on a table at 45 degrease,table painted with mold relise and add your epoxy (yuky dangerous stuff i think we should be using safer resins.)...let it cure flat.....peel off...wash release off..the one layer has tiny holes in it.....it can be rolled onto the standard wing that is built but has no leading edge...put it on dry.....epoxy/flox can then be injected with syringes with needles through the tiny holes..onece glued...continue laying up to acheve your disired thickness.

i have a one layer tail boom skin here....it has one join only....i have a set of carbon bulk heads made for it...hollow square section...they were laid up on styrofoam blanks and they were wound with 12k flat tow.the idea with this particular boom is to have a thick carbon skin,bulk heads and no longerons.

dont forget to use a higher tg(temprature to gell resin or allow for the part to be painted white.

also this type of lay up will not look like carbon fiber you see on bikes in the shop.

russ

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Rick Mullins <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

I made molds but they didn't come out quite as good as I hoped. But I tend to be a perfectionist and was looking for flawless. I made my molds by building the wings to the point where you would normally glue on the plywood, then I filled between the ribs with styrofoam then smoothed it all out with drywall joint compound. The problem was when the temperature changed the foam expanded at a different rate than the plywood so you can see where every rib was. It's really obvious when sighting down the inside of the shiny mold, but I'm thinking it won't be as much so with the finished product. When I get to the point where my wings are finished, I can see how they look, and have a chance to load test them, I might be willing to make D-tubes. I have $1600 and 3 months into molds. What would leading edges be worth?

From: george_rf1 <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:01 PM
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: plywood properties

It would be REALLY good if there were someone willing to make the carbon spar and Leading edge – that's something I would pay to have done.

That's very interesting , please do tell us, what would you expect to pay to hire someone to make the molds for leading edges and spars and the set of parts for you.

George

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: