Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Improving the pilot's field of view 11 Dec 2013 01:24 #642

so how about going the other direction like the pics of the woodstock that I posted. You'd keep the CG more aft since less prone, and you'd improve the visibility... I would think. Going more prone, as you say, would seem to take the DC forward, and there is [apparently] already a problem with that.

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Steve Adkins wrote:
>
> I co-owned a Schweizer 1-35c which came either with a removable canopy or a hinged canopy supported by gas springs. There is a large weight penalty for the latter. The hinged option coupled with a heavy wing repair put me over the gross weight limit for a period where I did not fly the aircraft.
> www.carbondragon.us/steve_redsailplane_sm.jpg ... me in N135EX
> members.goldengate.net/~tmrent/soar/docs...5_files/image002.jpg ... on final
>
> The mockup I built of the pilot pod included the huge wing root ribs (Steve Arndt sat in it). The wing is really a view blocker. A more recumbent position may help lower the eyes below the wing but that position moves the pilot's body and feet forward; thus, moving the CG forward which in turn lowers the maximum allowable speed when under tow according to the CG envelope. Also, extending the forward length of the pilot pod results in more side area in front of the CG; thus, impacting flight stability (for good or bad?). (The domino effect of design changes.)
>
> S. Steve Adkins (Note: not Steve Arndt)
> carbondragon.us/ ... dormant website with New Photo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: