Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Carbon Dragon structural limits 10 Dec 2013 22:28 #538

The Carbon Dragon prototype was quite nose heavy when I was flying it. We ended up with 12 lbs of tail weight and the weight and balance still showed me near the forward limit. The wrench was installed after the very first flights that Jim and Irv made. Jim weighed about 140 pounds and Irv was about 200.

Dan

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of Philip Lardner
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 3:19 AM
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: RE: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Carbon Dragon structural limits

That's a significant point, which I failed to pick up on when I first read about the wrench. If we knew the weight and position of the wrench along the tail boom we could work out its moment and then recalculate the length of the tail boom accordingly. Does anyone have any solid information about the wrench cludge/fix?

Phil.

----

>> I think with the increased pilot weight, the tail boom ought to be a little longer to give it a bit more authority...

And the three CDs I know of, all say the glider is slightly nose heavy, so a longer boom would help in that respect also (the prototype had a cresent wrench taped at the rear of the boom for a while to improve the cg)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: