Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Microlift gliders 10 Dec 2013 21:51 #509

there are some good ideas there... but much of it isn't really tailored to this type of app. one thing to keep in mind for tubes is that you CANNOT use uni-directional tubes unless you wrap them. I've got an example at work and it's already all split up. That's why the carbon rods also have to be buried -- they have virtually NO impact capability. Their selection of tubes was sparse and super expensice. You'd probably want to make your own if you wnet that way. Also much of their stuff is either too strong or flat. Some could be used for fittings etc, but I'm thinking for what they are charging most would prefer to make their own. Some good ideas though.

I've been wondering for the last several days if the D-Tube could be reinforced (stiffened) with some miniature hat stiffeners. There are some on the Dragon plate website, but they are WAY too heavy and large. The B-2 uses hat stiffeners as well as some others -- it's about the lightest way to stiffen a panel, but us very labor intensive.

Remember, right now things appear to be nose heavy; so, saving weight in the back really isn't so necessary. weight in the cockpit (forward of the lift center is good, adding ballistic shoot aft of the seat/spar is good, forward sweeping wings good. Engine good. Now if you add an engine, and the CDRA (Carbon Dragon Rev A) becomes heavy aft, then weight-savings in the aft fuselage become important.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is some weight-savings there, but my buddy, Mark Calder has been working on a new ultralight for 4-5 years and I think is getting ready to fly before too long. Take a look at his fuselage (and you can peruse the rest of his blog -- there are MANY good ideas there), which I think comes in less fabric at 26 Lb. Could it be lighter? Maybe a bit, but I think it's not so bad.

robinultralight.blogspot.com/2011/01/fuselage-construction.html

robinultralight.blogspot.com/

--- On Fri, 2/10/12, KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Microlift gliders
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Friday, February 10, 2012, 9:05 PM

Hi Kenny,
It can be done. Vacuum bag carbon cloth on the joints. The main load carriers would run nose to tail continuous. Check out this link. Mainly the cantilevered load near the bottom. Just some ideas. dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=88
Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
> the trick with graphite rod is joining all the members together -- plus, if you are nose heavy... micro-welded titanium fittings made from thin tubing... but that would be EXPENSIVE.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: