Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Composite Rib Construction & Load Testing 10 Dec 2013 20:53 #466

Well now, that's the $64 question! The specific gravity of spruce is around 0.38 (24 lbs/cu-ft) and going on the quick calculation I did for the weight of a spruce root rib (and the measured weight of my CF rib) I reckon the CF version should be about equal weight - possibly slightly lighter given that the CF appears to be considerably stronger than the spruce and therefore the structural dimensions can be reduced in places. Ultimately only time will tell! My interest is in building an all-carbon dragon and eliminating wood from the build entirely. If it's lighter, then woo-hoo! If it's heavier, then boo-hoo... but at least it will be considerably stronger and won't warp in the rain!

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of russell wilson
Sent: 03 March 2012 00:42
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Composite Rib Construction & Load Testing

exelent...is your dragon going to be hevier or lighter?
russ.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: