Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Wing ribs 09 Dec 2013 01:29 #433

Kenny,
We have been using this .125 rod for model aircraft spars. The .125 rod in the 12 foot lengths come shipped in about a 2 foot diameter roll. It bends easily and would go around the curature of the wing rib without a problem.

www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/graphliterod.php

Jim Marske also sold a variety of square rod that may work better. I'm not sure if he still sells it or not.

Rick Mullen might be able to answer that.

Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
> I've given this some thought and think it MIGHT be possible; BUT, you'd have to make your own rods due to the curvature issues that Phil pointed out.  Also, most rods are actually TOO robust for what we are doing.  I was thinking more like square Carbon tubes so that you still had significant area to bond to, and I completely agree with Phil -- you'd want some type of gusset at the joints. However, if you used square tube, I think you could bond them all rather than use a mechanical attachment.  Where there is a will there is a way.  I was thinking you could make the tubes, as a minimum, out of unidirectional tape wrapped in the 2 oz glass.  Maybe 3/4 X 3/4 test that and see what it got you...
> You likely have to make the curved ones over foam, then eat the foam out with something... Â Just a thought.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: