Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Wing ribs 09 Dec 2013 01:27 #431

I investigated pultruded carbon tubing also and even purchased a sample:

www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/carbon...section-8mm-7mm.aspx

This stuff is incredibly light and would be ideal for the straight sections of the ribs and particularly or making up the flaperon ribs. There are two down-sides to this stuff: at 0.5mm wall thickness it is rather easy to crush, and the other problem is... the price! I calculated the number of meters of this stuff I'd need and then hid behind the sofa when I worked out the price! It *is* a beautiful product, though, and very light weight.

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of Kenny Andersen
Sent: 06 March 2012 00:05
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Wing ribs

Karl,
I wasn't referring to the rod, but to the tubing. The rod bends quite easily, but the tubing does not. I'm thinking something along the lines of the basic wooden rib only mad from hollow composite. In this application (as opposed to the wing spar) there would be a minimum length to get all of the load sheared into the rod. I'm thinking MAYBE the uni tape might be more apropos on the rib caps?

--- On Mon, 3/5/12, KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Wing ribs
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Monday, March 5, 2012, 5:59 PM

Kenny,
We have been using this .125 rod for model aircraft spars. The .125 rod in the 12 foot lengths come shipped in about a 2 foot diameter roll. It bends easily and would go around the curature of the wing rib without a problem.

www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/graphliterod.php

Jim Marske also sold a variety of square rod that may work better. I'm not sure if he still sells it or not.

Rick Mullen might be able to answer that.

Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
> I've given this some thought and think it MIGHT be possible; BUT, you'd have to make your own rods due to the curvature issues that Phil pointed out.  Also, most rods are actually TOO robust for what we are doing.  I was thinking more like square Carbon tubes so that you still had significant area to bond to, and I completely agree with Phil -- you'd want some type of gusset at the joints. However, if you used square tube, I think you could bond them all rather than use a mechanical attachment.  Where there is a will there is a way.  I was thinking you could make the tubes, as a minimum, out of unidirectional tape wrapped in the 2 oz glass.  Maybe 3/4 X 3/4 test that and see what it got you...
> You likely have to make the curved ones over foam, then eat the foam out with something... Â Just a thought.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: