Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Wing ribs 09 Dec 2013 01:25 #430

That's the reason I'm thinking if you went that way you'd have to DIY -- I thought the prices were a bit crazy myself. Handling IS an issue. I could watch my bike from deflect a bunch too when you squeeze it, it it manages to take the abuse. The problem with the pultrusion tubs of course is that there are only 0 degree plies, which doesn't for a robust structure make. IF you use some uni, or a plultrusion, it HAS to be wrapped with some fabric -- it' not optional!

--- On Mon, 3/5/12, Philip Lardner <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: Philip Lardner <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: RE: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: Wing ribs
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Monday, March 5, 2012, 6:55 PM

I investigated pultruded carbon tubing also and even purchased a sample:

www.easycomposites.co.uk/products/carbon...section-8mm-7mm.aspx

This stuff is incredibly light and would be ideal for the straight sections of the ribs and particularly or making up the flaperon ribs. There are two down-sides to this stuff: at 0.5mm wall thickness it is rather easy to crush, and the other problem is... the price! I calculated the number of meters of this stuff I'd need and then hid behind the sofa when I worked out the price! It *is* a beautiful product, though, and very light weight.

Phil.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: