Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: CDII -fuselage 09 Dec 2013 00:53 #407

Yes I agree 155 is to heavy to foot launch. However the ULF-1 is foot launch able. I think a steady wind to help lift the aircraft is what makes it possible. To do it once classifies it as footlaunchable.
I'm just saying to do it just to do it. Once. The pilot has to be on the cg like the Archaeopteryx then. I'm all for roll launching.

A 100 % composite under 155 is going to be tough. I agree. I have a lot of samples of different layups. I measure my sample in 6" by 6" squares. 14 to 16 grams for a 6x6 is pretty light for composite sandwich layups. Do we have the sq ft surface area of the CD? Multiply that by 60 grams and you have a composite skin weight. That's without load carrying spars, etc.

Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
>
>
> --- On Sun, 3/11/12, KarlS <kschneider@...> wrote:
>
> From: KarlS <kschneider@...>
> Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CDII -fuselage
> To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
> Date: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 8:25 AM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Â
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Karl â€" I don’t think you are missing anything â€" I think
> their boom looks longer, so whatever the weight is it has more leverage (less
> weight to balance the moments), so I’m not sure how much more it weighs, and
> from their sheet, I’m seeing conflicting numbers on weight â€" I don’t think the
> 55KG number is correct and I’m not sure where that came from. In the Axel Word doc in the files section it
> says 89 Kg is the empty weight â€" I believe that’s possible…
>
>
>
>
>
> You really have to think light-weight here â€" I’m not sure it’s
> possible to do it like the Axel and make the 70 Kg ultralight weight â€" In fact
> I’m pretty sure you can’t. Look at the Archaeopteryx
> â€" there is no canopy, very little structure for the pod etc. It’s a bit short of the 15 pounds though, so
> I think we could get some kind of pod â€" just don’t know whether it can be a
> contoured composite one or a frame and skin.Â
> Of course, you can do it either way, but the weight won’t be the same…
> I think 155 Lb is too heavy to foot launch.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: