Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: CDII -fuselage 09 Dec 2013 00:50 #404

Russ,

Making the wing a constant cord will cost you too much weight. If you want to make a hang glider and throw some support wires the wing can get really light, but you pay a huge drag penalty. It’s easy to build for sure, but not worth the trade-off IMO.

@89 Kg, the Axel is still pretty light for what it does, and from the pictures it looks like it has a fully molded wing (as opposed to a cover), but there is no way to do it that way and get it under 155 Lb (70.3 Kg) . So, if you are a light as we are shooting for, then sweeping the wing a bit makes perfect sense, otherwise you pay too much weight penalty in the form of either tail weight or boom length (or both). There are a few extra pounds available with a chute, but I’d like to keep those in the back pocket for manufacturing. As George has pointed out (I think it was him) stuff can weigh a little more than you figure – especially if you are not working with an autoclave, all the goodies and whatnot.

Again, I don’t think there is any need to clip the wing as the carbon rods (rectangles) don’t weigh that much and add a LOT of strength and I’d prefer to keep the low wing loading.

We do agree on the foot-launch. I just read something somewhere about the average age of sailplane pilots was 62 or something… Let’s just say I wouldn’t expect them to be doing any heavy lifting! I’d prefer, if it didn’t come out heavy…

--- On Sun, 3/11/12, russell wilson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: russell wilson <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CDII -fuselage
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 6:20 PM

hi i too thaught the axel looked out of proportion for a 55kg aircraft......id like to see the confusion stay;)

i think the swept wing is a step in the wrong direction....complexity and exra build time will will keep it a dream...if you want a sucses full aircraft it needs to be safe,easy and quick to build.....constant cord wing....1 rib...they dont want to stall a tip...no taper in the spar...you dont need twist...you dont have to change airfoil at any point in the wing.

a plank type aircraft with a reflex airfoil,very short tail boom and fin...will give you what you want for under 70 kg.

a cliped wing carbon dragon is an extremely good solution.for a heavier pilot.

take the time to foot launch a hanglider..30 to 45 kg then your view on foot launching the dragon will be ..not practical..(it can be done and it can be landed on foot).the aircraft you guys are conseeving is already over 70 kg...if you think you can save weight by leaving the doors off then do so.

hey if it comes out too heavy...stamp it with a 55kg sticker;)

russ.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: