Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: CDII -fuselage 08 Dec 2013 23:32 #352

Photo showing Arc rear clearance. More than I thought. But a hinged keel tube for the wish list maybe down the road.

groups.yahoo.com/group/Carbondragonbuild...inal&start=1&dir=asc

Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
> Tru dat,  I'm sure the keel 'tube' could be run along the bottom of the 'cage'.  I guess if the weight is kept down, you could always foot land (there are vids of the Arc doing just that).  I'm thinking if you had a 10-15 mph wind it might not be so bad... off to bed, it's late here!
>
> --- On Sat, 3/17/12, KarlS <kschneider@...> wrote:
>
> From: KarlS <kschneider@...>
> Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CDII -fuselage
> To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
> Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 11:14 AM
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Â
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks Kenny.
>
>
>
> One thing I do like about the ULF-1 is the keel assmebly and the safety. One possible issue with a sling seat is out landing in a rocky environmet.
>
>
>
> The thought of not seeing a rock in tall grass could really put a hurting on your rear. As to a keel getting scuffed.
>
>
>
> Karl
>
>
>
> --- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
> >
>
> > I don't think there would be much aerodynamic difference, but in the end, if it's more than you need, the larger tail section would just be adding weight. Â I think the tube would be fairly straight-forward to make, and basically the APEtzxerz (man I hate typing that freaking long name and having to look it up all the time so I can spell it!), hereafter known as the Arc, pretty much has the tail tube tied into the D-tube leading edge and the fairing around the pilot. Â I'm thinking that shouldn't be too difficult to do. Â And the nice thing about it is you can build the wing, and the sling/seat, and test fly it before you put on the fairing.
>
> > Sure the other gliders are faster, but I'm guaranteeing that an Arc/CD can catch the small stuff the bigger/faster ships blow right through with nary a bump.  Additionally, the low wing loading means that the micro-lift ships ought to seriously out climb ANY standard sailplane.
>
> >
>
> > --- On Sat, 3/17/12, KarlS <kschneider@> wrote:
>
> >
>
> > From: KarlS <kschneider@>
>
> > Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CDII -fuselage
>
> > To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
>
> > Date: Saturday, March 17, 2012, 10:25 AM
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Â
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > I uploaded a photo. Not sure how many of you have studied the ULF-1 but this profile looks awful eerie.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > groups.yahoo.com/group/Carbondragonbuild...inal&start=1&dir=asc
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Would more fuselage side area be better for thermals and could you reduce the size of the vertical?
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > In my discussions with one of the ULF-1 pilots it was said there is not a sailplane out there that could out climb the ULF-1 in a thermal.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > One of the drawbacks was when you left the thermal. The slow speed hurt you. Everyone else would go buzzing by.
>
> >
>
> >
>
> >
>
> > Karl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: