Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: CDII -fuselage 07 Dec 2013 01:23 #283

I'm inclined to make the wing in three separate sections that slot together (fastened with pip-pins?) rather than go for a 3-part folding wing, which would be a handfull even for two people. Three separate sections would make the glider much easier for a single person to assemble on their own.

A workable assembly procedure for the lone pilot would be to wheel out the fuselage and then connect the centre wing section to it - easy to balance. Then attach one outer wing with a pip pin to the lower spar connector only - the wing tip can rest on the ground at this stage. Then, by tilting the fuselage/centre wing towards the outer wing you are working on it should be possible for a single person to align the upper spar connectors and slide a pip pin through the holes. Note that using this routine it is only necessary to have a single access panel (top surface only) for inserting the pip pins - no need for an access panel on the lower surface! Then repeat the process for the other outer wing. It might be possible to replace the top pip pin with some sort of spring loaded bolt that automatically locks in place when you swing the connectors together, and eliminate the need for any access panels altogether - disconnecting the parts will call for some further thought... just an idea for now!

I started working some numbers last night for a wing split at rib #5, to work out the loads and dimensions of the fittings at the joins. I'll try and finish that over the weekend.

A minor fly in the ointment re my plans to infuse ribs this morning... I went flying instead! Just home now (6pm) and heading out to the workshop...

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of Kenny Andersen
Sent: 24 March 2012 16:08
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CDII -fuselage

DO you have my e-mail? IF you could send me what you have I'll take a look at at it. I'm not agin it, but usually the folding feature costs weight. IT also means it's a bit more difficult to handle one-manned, unless you don't plan on taking the center section off like they do for the Arc. Whatever we do, the goal is to keep it simple as possible -- lightness through simplicity!

--- On Sat, 3/24/12, KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CDII -fuselage
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Saturday, March 24, 2012, 10:23 AM

Hi Kenny,
I would vote yes on your suggestion. I would like to ask if the folding wing chould be incorporated in the design. I have the Mitchell B10 plans on the way so maybe we could use their folding wing concept.

By the way I have ULF-1, CD, Marske Monarch, and Skypup plans.

Should be able to make something out of all this.

Phil,

I hope your ribs turn out this weekend.

Karl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: