Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: 3-piece wing calcs, thoughts 07 Dec 2013 01:10 #273

Its the same airfoil, but when you shorten the cord the height changes correspondingly. The 3-piece wing breaks into smaller parts than the 2-piece, so you'd conceivably end up with a smaller trailer. It's not being done for strength, and I don't think overall it's any lighter since you have to add one joint and 2 ribs... SO, there are some advantages, and some drawbacks. That is the way the Arc does it though. It's would be interesting to have a conversation with them and see what drove them to that -- whether it was just the ability to break it down smaller, or whether they had something else on their mind. The lightest way is to break the wings at the fuselage where you can get just bending in the middle with no shear, and no extra ribs...

--- On Mon, 3/26/12, KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: 3-piece wing calcs, thoughts
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Monday, March 26, 2012, 9:41 PM

Kenny,

The thinner airfoil could give a nice speed increase. Dropping the flaps to max hopefully will give the gentle landing approaches like the Arc.

As long as it looks like this Kenny we'll approve it.

groups.yahoo.com/group/Carbondragonbuild...inal&start=1&dir=asc

I think my wing building concept could work nice for this. My jig plates are 16 foot.

Karl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: