Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: 3-piece wing calcs, thoughts 07 Dec 2013 01:03 #268

Thanks Kenny,
I am all ears. Your illustration and thoughts are very much appreciated.

I am more of a builder but have seen a lot over the years. I am just happy to be able to be a part of this.

Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Kenny Andersen wrote:
>
> Karl,I've uploaded a file showing the shear and moment diagram (general) for the wing. I'm not convinced the 2-splice wing is stronger (actually you would size either configuration to be strong enough), and I'm not even sure it's lighter in the end. I suspect that what is driving the Arc in that direction (though I freely admit I don't know for sure) is that they can leave the flaps rigged on the center section and they can also have separate flap and aileron AND you can get it all in a trailer that is 5 foot shorter. I don't think it is lighter and the outboard joint is a little trickier than it looks (not that it can't be done that way of course!). Take a look at my comments. It is still VERY much open for discussion! As an engineer, I can tell you without ANY hesitation that everything is a compromise and there isn't a perfect way of doing anything; however, the results will not be the same!Kenny

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: