Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: CF and Fiberglass construcion 06 Dec 2013 18:23 #237

hi ed...another way for you depending on the out come you are chasing .....lay out and wet out your carbon on a flat surface....once cured cut the sizes for your box tube as you would with bolsa..prehaps this way you could avoid the foam......but you know what, im thinking using the same amount of material as a round tube.might be a better option,depending on how its used as far as strenth to weight....is the pice loaded like a bridge/spar? or loaded in compression/tension?..what are you making?

russ.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 11:57 PM, KarlS <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

Ed,
Here is a link to my Pitts Model 12 I am building now. This is my graphlite Rod landing gear. I've been building models for 40+ years.

You can not believe how strong and light these are. Here's how I made the square tubing. Endless posibilities.

www.flyinggiants.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57469&page=154

Enjoy.

Karl

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Edward Pickens wrote:
>

> I am just trying to figure out how I could make a foam core square CF tube with carbon rods running longitudinally on each side. I was thinking about cutting the basic square of foam with a table saw and notching out space for the CF extruded rods. The build up would be foam core, CF cloth, Rods in the notches, and CF cloth as the final layer. 3M-77 would help hold the mess together while I get it in the bag. Once it is cured I would put it in a jig to heat treat it and make sure it runs true. -Ed
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: KarlS <kschneider@...>

> To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
> Sent: Sunday, April 1, 2012 8:30 AM
> Subject: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: CF and Fiberglass construcion
>
>

> Â

>
> Hi Ed,
> My opinion would be you would not need the 3M77 with infusion. The adhesive could prevent the full saturation of the cloth plus I think you would get a better finish on the outside without it. I am a modeler and use 3M77 a lot. It has a lot of great uses.
>
> Karl
>

> --- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Edward Pickens wrote:
> >
> > I have made some parts for R/C aircraft and have tacked the cloth to the mold with a light misting of 3M 77. There was one part where this was necessary to get it right the first time. With the infusion process would the presence of 3M-77 weaken the structure or would it be dissolved and removed while the expoy progresses through the cloth? -Ed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: