Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

step 2 30 Nov 2013 11:39 #217

Kenny,

Like the cloth or OML not in solids but in real surfaces? Does the spar and rib also need to be surfaces? Not up on FEA input and trying to understand what is needed to do the analysis. Reverse engineering takes a time and good software. We ain't talking Delta Cad 2D or AutoCad.

I have been working off of the 1/4 scale .pdf raster files and it is not easy accounting for all the scaling errors of the copies. Measuring raster prints is like throwing darts. Solids are needed to compare weights and I was trying to establish a baseline model and try and understand how the Carbon Dragon is put together. Redesigned components could be modeled for weight or FEA input more accurate than napkin sketches.

I take the raster (bitmap) .pdf file and import it into Solid Works as a sketch. I then scale it to sheet size. I then try and find any scaling info or dimensions to verify some defined feature size. I then create sketches to extrude into solids. I can sketch on the solid to make gusset sketches then extrude them and merge the solid bodies into one if everything lines up. This makes a part like the rib that I exported as a step file. To make a wing assembly I start with a part like the spar as a base. I then bring in other parts like the ribs and align them to the drawing coordinates and spar features. Any errors on the part show up like the alignment of the notch in the leading edge for example. So now the little square leading edge stringer does not line up with the rib notches when aligned with the root and tip ribs. You can see this in the pdf picture in the files folder of the spar with ribs on it.

If all you need is a surface representation for Nastran elements like shells and plates you assign material properties to I can try and figure out if I can use the geometry I have created to make surfaces.

Regards,

Charlie

In a message dated 4/5/2012 7:05:00 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. writes:

What I'd really like to get are the wing surfaces -- anyone got those?

--- On Thu, 4/5/12, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] step 2
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Date: Thursday, April 5, 2012, 7:18 PM

I have a work in progress of the wing but have not worked on it for a while. My other project a Dragonfly/Corvair has been taking priority. I also just rented a new hanger and have to move the club Cessna 172 starting this weekend. I have a spar without the aluminum lugs. See the .pdf in the files.

Charlie

In a message dated 4/5/2012 5:41:44 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. writes:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: