Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: carbon dragon 30 Nov 2013 01:19 #169

Rick, thanks for sharing, we all appreciate it. I am curious what you used for the D cell skin, what type of cloth, weight/oz, how many layers, did you vacuum bag etc. I am really surprised that 4 carbon rods can cary that load with that span with so (relatively) little deflection. I guess I have been way over designing my spar caps. Any other design specifics would be appreciated by the group from someone that has actually built (not just on paper). So thanks again!
Mark

--- In This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., Rick Mullins wrote:
>
> I did the wing load test over the weekend. I loaded almost 1500 lbs on the wings which is the equivalent of 6Gs. Everything returned to normal after the load was removed. I was expecting some ugly noises during the test but other than "bonks" when the leading edge oil-canned, and a crap-the-pants "bang" when a screw in the test fixture sheared it was thankfully quiet and uneventful.
> Â
> I uploaded a couple of pictures of the test.
>
> Â
>
> ________________________________
> From: ekolbs <ekolbs@...>
> To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
> Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 10:35 PM
> Subject: [Ultralight_Soaring] Re: carbon dragon
>
>
> Â
> Any updates? Really interested to hear about results of load testing. Thanks in advance!
>
> --- In mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com, "ekolbs" wrote:
> >
> > Wow, very impressive. I just had to reply quickly and say looks great and thanks for promptly sharing! I'm anxious to follow you progress. Mark
> >
> > --- In mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com, Rick Mullins wrote:
> > >
> > > I created a new folder called Carbon Dragon and uploaded some pictures of build my spar, wing, and a current photo of the project
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > > From: ekolbs <ekolbs@>
> > > To: mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com
> > > Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:24 PM
> > > Subject: [Ultralight_Soaring] Re: carbon dragon
> > >
> > >
> > > ÂÂ
> > > Sounds great Rick. Any more details and pictures you could post to the photos section would be appreciated by many.
> > > Mark
> > >
> > > --- In mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com, Rick Mullins wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Yes, you use the carbon rods in the spar caps rather than carbon tows the plans call for. The shear web is 7725 fiberglass cloth like the Monarch.
> > > >
> > > > Jim's composites manual is great. Lots of good information.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ________________________________
> > > > From: Michael McKeown <michael@>
> > > > To: mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com
> > > > Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:57 AM
> > > > Subject: Re: [Ultralight_Soaring] Re: carbon dragon
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ÂÂÂ
> > > > Do the varying length carbon rods make up the spar caps?  ÂÂÂ
> > > > What is the shear web?
> > > > I have just ordered the book.
> > > > Michael
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On May 22, 2012, at 5:21 AM, Rick Mullins wrote:
> > > >
> > > > ÂÂÂ
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >My spar is almost an exact copy of the one Jim uses in his Monarch. I used 4 of the .092x.220 carbon rods and divided my spar into quarters. First rod full length, second 3/4, 3rd half way, etc. I used the same number for both the top and bottom spar caps for ease of construction. I made carbon bars from about 35 layers of carbon cloth for the wing connectors. According to Jims composite design book I only needed about 18 layers to prevent tear out but 35 gave me the same thickness as the 4 stacked carbon rods, and I would have the maximum surface area when I glued it up for the load transfer. The wings connectors are the same as in the plans. I have plenty of pictures if you are interested.
> > > > >ÂÂÂ
> > > > >I'm about 90% finished. All the major pieces are built and I'm assembling them now. I am currently fitting the wings and yesterday  I think I ran into another discrepancy in the plans. Jim apparently started with a 16 inch wide pod and later went to 17.and not all the dimensions on the drawings are consistent. The fittings on my pod are spaced too far apart to mate properly with the wing fittings. It will be a couple more days before it has wings now.
> > > > >
> > > > >From: ekolbs <ekolbs@>
> > > > >To: mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com
> > > > >Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 10:04 PM
> > > > >Subject: [Ultralight_Soaring] Re: newbie
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >ÂÂÂ
> > > > >Rick,
> > > > >I too have CD plans and have long thought that the Marske spar would be perfect. Would you share any details about the spar geometry? How many of what size rods and how do taper the number down as you progress outboard. How are you making you center attachment, overlap or fittings with bolt top and bottom, as in Jim's workshop manual? Really interested to hear from someone who has actually built, not just on paper.
> > > > >Thanks,
> > > > >Mark
> > > > >
> > > > >--- In mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com, Rick Mullins wrote:
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Welcome Claude.
> > > > >> I'm building a Carbon Dragon and I used Jim Marske's spar design in it. Simple, lightweight, and strong. Doesn't get any better than that.
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >> ________________________________
> > > > >> From: claude
> > > > <claudebouzerand@>
> > > > >> To: mailto:Ultralight_Soaring%40yahoogroups.com
> > > > >> Sent: Monday, May 21, 2012 11:59 AM
> > > > >> Subject: [Ultralight_Soaring] newbie
> > > > >>
> > > > >>
> > > > >> ÃÆ'‚ÂÂÂ
> > > > >> Hi all,
> > > > >>
> > > > >> I am living in France and I plan to build a Mitchell wing B10 (I have the plans) I had a Bright Star Swift SN 16 I sold 1 year ago because I hadn't place anough to store it and it was not easy to foot lauch(too heavy) .I am aeronautical technician .I just want to use Jim Marske method for the spar-I am waiting for his book I ordered last week.Your group could provide me good ideas to perform this project!
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Regards
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Claude

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: