Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: 3 Piece Wing 30 Nov 2013 00:08 #123

I fly with a Metamorphosi Conar-18 'chute when hang gliding because when I researched reserve chutes some years ago it came out top in independant comparitave tests - fastest to open - most stable - light weight etc. It was, and I think still is the favourate model amongst the world's top hangies! I can't comment on ballistic chutes in general, but their deployment time is a lot faster than the 4-5+ seconds it can take to hand deploy from my HG harness!

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of russell wilson
Sent: 20 December 2012 12:06
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: 3 Piece Wing

good points phill
the standard carbon dragon's canopy is not a fully enclosed canopy.
would the arkeopterix have broken if it was not carrying the extra weight of a balistic reserve?.what was the weight of the balistic reserve?
what was the ultamate G that the arkeopterex fails at?my guess is its rated at round 6G and altamatley fails at 10G and the balistic would be 12kg? 120 kg exra on the fuse at the time it failed?
the faster you spin the slower you fall.if auto rotation sets in it can be a good thing.small gyro copters were tested sucsessfully in ww2becaus of the shortage of silk for paracutes if i remember right.
was the carbon dragon designed with a balistic reserve in mind.?

a reserve i hear is not your second chance,it your last.using one or not or type is an individuals chose.

a throw reserve is cheeper,is lighter,is moor reliable.does not carry the dangers of pirotechnics and an expert to matanance it.

what reserve do you use in your hanglider phill and why?

are there any bad points of having a balistic reserve phill?

russell wilson.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Philip Lardner <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.> wrote:

2 Videos - www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/videos Coup Icare 2010 - Archaeopteryx breaks up in loop.
BTW - the pilot admitted exceeding both Vne and the max G-loading when this glider broke up - it's still a perfectly safe design.

Take a look at just how fast the Archaeopteryx spins around after it disintegrates after exiting that loop and tell me you'd have the presence of mind (let alone the strength to overcome the G-forces involved) first to release the canopy and then remove your hand-deployed parachute from its container, look for a clear spot and throw it. I don't think so! Give me a 'fire and forget' rocket deployed 'chute any day.

During our hang gliding parachute repack sessions, pilots are suspended in their flight harnesses from a roof beam in a sports hall and swung vigorously from side to side of the hall. When they have built up enough speed someone steps in and spins them around by the feet at high speed to simulate the disorientation and G-force involved in a HG break up. The pilot's arms, which start out in the normal bar position for flying, are flung out straight by the G-force, which he then has to overcome to first locate and then to deploy his reserve parachute. It's not an easy task - and nothing like as difficult as a real emergency deployment under a high G spin that pilots have reported following their gliders breaking up (usually due to them flying beyond Vne in rough air during competitions.)

The Swift Lite and Archaeopteryx both use ballistic reserve deployment systems, as does Yasushi Akahori in his own Carbon Dragon - www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/cd-b...yasushi-akahori-s-cd.

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of russell wilson
Sent: 20 December 2012 01:09
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: 3 Piece Wing

i belive balistic reserve is too heavy for this aircraft,i recomend a hand thrown reserve.

the arkopterex has failed doing airobatics,there are real stories of sailplanes being broken up in rotor tubulance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: