Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ballistic parachute 30 Nov 2013 00:04 #120

All 3 Dragons in Florida have ballistic chutes. I have the air powered one on my glider. The rocket portion of my system (basically an air cylinder and mount) weighs 930 grams, a little over 2 pounds. Hardly worth mentioning considering the vastly improved performance.

From: Philip Lardner <This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.>
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 6:05 AM
Subject: RE: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: 3 Piece Wing

2 Videos - www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/videos Coup Icare 2010 - Archaeopteryx breaks up in loop.
BTW - the pilot admitted exceeding both Vne and the max G-loading when this glider broke up - it's still a perfectly safe design.

Take a look at just how fast the Archaeopteryx spins around after it disintegrates after exiting that loop and tell me you'd have the presence of mind (let alone the strength to overcome the G-forces involved) first to release the canopy and then remove your hand-deployed parachute from its container, look for a clear spot and throw it. I don't think so! Give me a 'fire and forget' rocket deployed 'chute any day.

During our hang gliding parachute repack sessions, pilots are suspended in their flight harnesses from a roof beam in a sports hall and swung vigorously from side to side of the hall. When they have built up enough speed someone steps in and spins them around by the feet at high speed to simulate the disorientation and G-force involved in a HG break up. The pilot's arms, which start out in the normal bar position for flying, are flung out straight by the G-force, which he then has to overcome to first locate and then to deploy his reserve parachute. It's not an easy task - and nothing like as difficult as a real emergency deployment under a high G spin that pilots have reported following their gliders breaking up (usually due to them flying beyond Vne in rough air during competitions.)

The Swift Lite and Archaeopteryx both use ballistic reserve deployment systems, as does Yasushi Akahori in his own Carbon Dragon - www.ihpa.ie/carbon-dragon/index.php/cd-b...yasushi-akahori-s-cd.

Phil.

From: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. [This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.] On Behalf Of russell wilson
Sent: 20 December 2012 01:09
To: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Subject: Re: [Carbondragonbuildersandpilots] Re: 3 Piece Wing

i belive balistic reserve is too heavy for this aircraft,i recomend a hand thrown reserve.

the arkopterex has failed doing airobatics,there are real stories of sailplanes being broken up in rotor tubulance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: